Translate

Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Mindsets Matter

HIGH NOTES  
August 2015

I have a coffee friend who aptly declares that he is the smile distributor for the Upper Midwest!  Be like Wayne…brighten others' lives.  Linda

MINDSETS MATTER

Every once in a while we come across a book or a person who speaks bold wisdom to us.   A spirit filled friend recommended such a book to me!   Perhaps the author's inspiration will touch you as well.

Kelly McGonigal, PhD, has written The Upside of Stress.  I like that this author has balanced writing about concepts along with research data.  Her reference to "mindsets" is quite profound.  In particular, she describes mindset interventions, which are defined as experiences that open our minds to a new way of looking at life or the facts.  These intervention events are like seeds planted.   They always impact the person even though there is no prediction for sure about when  or how that will happen.

Our world is full of traumatic stress, however, not all stress is bad.  Challenge stress applies to people committed to goals that make life better.  It is hopeful to me in new ways that a light can impact forever for good even those people who have spent way too long in darkness.   Of course, I think first about kids…our future!

In a previous Genesis book , Claiming God's Power and Purpose With Creativity, this is what I recommended to anyone who has faced trauma.: "You will need to look in the mirror and say to yourself:  I am sorry that you were hurt. You are a wonderful person, and I love you."   I call this mindset intervention now!!

Recently, I described myself as an empowered optimist:) This book has added fuel to my fire!  I trust that this warmth of hope will rub off on you, too.

"You cannot swim for new horizons until you have courage to lose sight of the shore."
William Faulkner





GENESIS CREATIVE CONCEPTS
Promoting Natural Wonder

No comments:

Post a Comment